I’ll be tabling for Sparkplug Books at the Small Press Expo this weekend, September 19th and 20th, in Bethesda, MD.
Sparkplug superstar Jenny Flax and I will be at table N11 with a bunch of great Sparkplug postcards, mini comics, and graphic novels!
I’ll also have Vortex and my new risograph mini comic Sphere Fear, published by Yeah Dude Comics. Come by my table and say hi, it’s my first SPX and I’m really excited!
Robin McConnell of Inkstuds interviewed me about Vortex, Skew, performance art, Jack Kirby, Sphere Fear (my risograph comic debuting at SPX, published by Yeah Dude Comics), and more! Listen to it here.
I was pretty nervous about the interview but friends have assured me that it sounds fine. There were a few things that I realized afterwards I should’ve mentioned:
- José-Luis’ last name is Olivares.
- The friend I’m doing the final Sparkplug Books Kickstarter painting for is also a cartoonist, Jason Poland. He does the webcomic Robbie and Bobby.
- My performance art professor Mike Smith told me about chalk talks, which combine comics and theater. The performer tells a story or joke using drawings done quickly on newsprint pads or erased and altered on a chalkboard. I did a few of those in Mike’s classes.
- My interest in psychedelia probably stems from my anxiety disorder. My reality is already distorted compared to most people’s perceptions. The constant battling and transformations in the Hyperverse is a manifestation of my persistent worries.
- I’m not sure what show I’ll attend after SPX, but I contributed a six-page comic to Future Shock Zero and writing to Speculative Modern Dinosaur Quarterly, both edited by Josh Burggraf and both debuting at CAB.