In order to really get in there and work on some large paintings for my upcoming show at Domy Houston, I crowbarred an easel into my already crowded studio. Here’s a shot of my new setup, with annotations below:
- Custodian CD
- Hat from the Very Large Array where they filmed Contact
- Multiforce by Mat Brinkman
- In-progress painting (see below)
- Stereo playing some DJ Screw
- Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson – a very interesting, innovative fantasy series, I’m super stoked to read the first book of his new multi-volume epic The Way of Kings
- Thanks for the birthday present Martin!
- Secret Prison #2
- Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (not to be confused with Iain Banks) – I really enjoyed his book The Algebraist but I haven’t gotten to this book yet
- My stack of Wheel of Time books – I’ve been reading this series since junior high and I can’t wait for the final two volumes (I keep wanted to write a long blog post talking about how these books have influenced me and why I appreciate them but I’ll probably never write it)
- TV tray
- I really dig this chair
Here’s a more direct shot of the painting:
Here’s a shot zoomed in on one of the Miizzzards:
I finished this painting last nite. I’m going to take some better photos and post them later this week. I’m thinking that this image will end up being the postcard for the show.
I’m going to have a show at Domy Books Houston from Sept 25th to Oct 21st. The opening is going to be on Sept 25th from 7 to 9 pm. I’m going to be working on it as much as possible until then. I have a long list of things that I want to make but not enough time to make all of them.
Here’s a sketch I made for a painting for the show:
Right now I’m thinking that the show is going to be paintings from a battle between the Miizzzard and the Wojrollox. I want to paint a lot of weird transformations, intensely patterned and colorful costumes, and strange worlds.
Last week I posted this sketch to my flickr:
Unbeknownst to me, my buddy and fellow GCPM member Josh Burggraf decided to try his hand at inking over my pencils. Check out the dope result:
I especially dig all the details that he added to the Miizzzard at the bottom.
Thanks to everyone who donated to the Kickstarter, Secret Prison #2 has been published!
If you didn’t pick a copy up at the Philly Alternative Comic Con, it’ll be available at SPX and various shops in Philly. For those who missed it, here’s another preview of my comic:
I think it’s one of the best comics that I’ve done yet.
A while ago I drew a comic for Taffy Hips #8 but it turns out it was the wrong size. Here it is:
They’re still seeking submissions until September 1st. It’s probably going to be their last print issue so they’re going to go all out. There’s more info here.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted! I assure you, although I may have been quiet here, I’ve been busy. If you want to hear more from me be sure to also follow me on Twitter for thoughts on sci fi, mini updates and other commentary.
I have images of the paintings that I made for the Totally Wreck show In Science, the Lion Sleeps with the Lamb. They are two paintings of Hyperplanetary systems.